Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Reflection on my reflections

When I found out that our homework assignments were going to be handed in through a blog I was skeptical. I have never dealt with blogs before. I am not much of a web searcher and was confused on how you even make blogs. I was happy that the first day we made a simple blog. It made me realize that it was a simple thing to do. It grew on me and after the a couple blogs I got the hang of searching through our class and finding other blogs to read and how to get back to my own blogs.

The thing I did not enjoy about the blogs was lack of feedback from the teacher. I was a bit nervous that if I did something wrong I would not know how to correct it and get punished when it came to the end of the quarter. It was opinionated blogs but it is reassuring to get a grade of something not much later after you posted it.

I found myself changing my style of writing as the quarter went on. My first few blogs were a bit more opinionated and more creative than my later blogs. I made much more creative comparisons in the beginning but stuck to facts and quotes more near the end. I think this may have been a result to more work in other classes later on in the quarter. My later quotes, while still good, were not as original as my earlier blogs.

I was very concerned about the ability for anyone to read my blogs. It is much more nerve racking to think that anyone can read my post and I was afraid if I worded something differently it wouldn’t just be an effect on my grade but a judgment by another person on my education or grammar. I did become more comfortable as time went on and I thought of it more as just an assignment then a blog sent out to everyone.

It was nice to give and receive comments. Giving out comments made me feel like I was contributing to the class. It is nice to get the feel of other peoples opinions on the same topic you are writing about. I found it interesting when we had to pick certain quotes how there were so many different quotes and ideas on the subject. I think it helped me broaden my own ideas by getting inside the heads of different students. I also enjoyed getting feedback. It was nice to know that people agreed on my comments other than myself. Along with them agreeing on a comment, they contributed to my ideas and gave some opinions on the subject.

Writing on readings and films were a very positive experience. I think it helps you regain your thoughts and pick out points. When you read or watch something you may think of an idea at the time and it can just float away. By writing these reflections we were able to take these comments and ideas and elaborate on it. It also helped that we were able to look at other people’s comments and grab some of their ideas and agree or disagree about them. Instead of just letting ideas fly away, these blogs really helped us build arguments and let us reflect on what went through our minds during the viewing or reading.

I enjoyed this class and was pleased that we had environmental topics. It really helped me learn about my future in the restaurant business and how I can contribute when I grow up. The topics really enlightened me and I am thankful that I was able to learn about all of these issues before I enter the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment